<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, March 06, 2009


when spelling matters 


I am a guest at a primary school in Greenwich, showing pupils my work and conducting brief drawing workshops with the year 3 and 4 classes as a special event for World Book Day. Some of the pupils draw characters into panels on sheets I printed out the night before, adding their dialogue in the speech balloons provided, to create a simple four panel strip. One or two are sickeningly brilliant, many are inspiringly energetic but a little hard to decipher. Sometimes I ask the creator of a strip to talk me through the action (and decipher their handwriting and spelling for me). One such, presumably a great fan of sugary fizzy drinks, explains that the figure in the first panel is himself, holding a can and saying "I love Coke". Sadly he has spelled Coke "C-O-C-K".

I do not point out his error.


Comments:
Ooh dear. Let's hope he doesn't take his work home and tell his mum that nice, strange man who came into school helped him do it...

 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?