<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, March 24, 2006


timewasting 


So the foolish attempt at using coloured pencils to produce a mother's day card takes me an hour or more before I realise it looks awful. Then the second attempt using the same design but colouring on the computer takes up a while before I realise that the problem with the first one wasn't just the cack-handed use of colour but was a lot to do with the drawing being dull and lifeless and, hey, it still is now. So I knock out a slightly panicked third version in 15 minutes flat and it looks fine.

The moral of this story? Never start a job more than 15 minutes before it needs to be finished.

(Note to any potential clients reading this: I'm kidding, obviously. No, really).


Comments:
yeah. making cards for relatives sucks. its not what our talent is meant for. anyway, you need to continue the life of a pen sketchbook pages. thats some of the strongest work I've seen anywhere. whatever you've been doing, keep it up.

 
yeah. making cards for relatives sucks. its not what our talent is meant for. anyway, you need to continue the life of a pen sketchbook pages. thats some of the strongest work I've seen anywhere. whatever you've been doing, keep it up.

 
Thanks, Mike.

I don't generally hate the card-making thing it's just occasionally, because I've been doing it for years and it's now expected of me, it feels a little like an obligation. The main problem, though, is when I make life difficult for myself by trying to conform to a traditional approach instead of sticking with my natural way of working. Just because it's a mother's day card that's no reason for me to try to draw soppy pictures of flowers. Especially as it turns out that I'm rubbish at it.

Anyway, there should be a new life of a pen page later today. Though surely now the pen can't have much life left in it. It's getting so it's going to be a race between the ink running out and the nib wearing down.

 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?